“No man is an island, entire of itself...”
John Donne said these words back in the 17th century and they have reverberated throughout the centuries. As a Christian, he understood this central truth – that is, that we are created to have relationship.
- God created woman because “It is not good for man to be alone.”
- God walked with Adam and Eve in the garden simply for their company.
Only when men and women rebel from God, does He feel the need to give us laws to define and protect key relationships. Otherwise, we spiral off into our own selfish and abusive pursuits, to the harm of those around us, and to the destruction of community and family.
Right from the beginning of recorded human history, we see how broken relationships divide and destroy.
- Cain murders his brother out of jealousy.
- Jacob steals his brother’s birthright and blessing, encouraged to do so by a mother playing favorites.
Sometimes the Old Testament reads like a TV soap opera!
Although God had given indication in the OT scripture of His desire for intimate relationship – the people of Israel had forgotten. It was Jesus who taught them that God was “Abba” – a familial name of intimacy, like “Daddy.”
This is the best revelation of God! The perfect father: loving, attentive, faithful… He draws his children together.
Now…be a family.
“Love one another as I have loved you.”
God is interested in relationship. Big Time!
- He gave us parents for love, security, protection, guidance…
- He gave us marriage to reflect his covenantal faithfulness.
But his most profound revelation of relationship is yet to come…
Join the Journey!
If you found this post meaningful, please sign up to continue receiving future posts right into your inbox.